Trees in Trust
Plant a tree by your home!
The City’s Trees in Trust program needs your help to find suitable locations for street trees. Street trees are available by request on a first come, first served basis. If your City-owned street frontage lacks a tree and you have the time and commitment to help care for one, please contact us.
- There will be no charge to the homeowner (supply and planting will be provided by the City).
- The program applies only to homes with street frontage (the space between your property line and the roadway).
- The property owner must pledge to assist with the proper tree care (watering) for the first three years of the tree’s life. Instructions will be provided.
- Trees will be a minimum size of 50 mm diameter, or 2 to 3 meters in height.
- Limit of one tree per single fronting household or two trees per corner lot.
- The proposed location must meet the Trees in Trust program criteria.
The following criteria will be used to assess potential planting sites:
- Is there enough space? (other trees or obstacles must be a minimum of 7m away)
- Are there overhead or underground utilities?
- Does the soil quality appear to be acceptable for tree growth?
- Are there any conflicting uses on the planting site?
- Has the request been made by the homeowner? (i.e. the person who pays taxes on the property)
- Is there an obvious conflict with traffic safety requirements or City maintenance (i.e. sightlines or snow removal operations)
Should you require additional information or to participate in the program, please contact 3-1-1 or make a request using the online forms.