Addressing seniors needs and desires
Our Seniors Action Committee is committed to representing seniors in our community with outreach, advocacy, and social events. These initiatives include:
- facilitating Seniors awareness through Information sessions.
- making Seniors feel welcome by holding regular social functions.
- constantly inquiring from our Senior Community what are their needs.
- being the voice of the Seniors in our community in order to make Blackburn Hamlet a desirable and safe community for Seniors
- facilitating community Seniors involvement and encouraging Seniors participation in activities.
Resources for Seniors
Online information of interest to seniors can be found across many websites. Here are a few useful links to help you quickly find important information about services, safety and security, retail discounts and more.
Links to third-party websites are provided for information only. The BCA takes no responsibility for the content or use of these sites or services noted therein.
- Ottawa – City of Ottawa Older Adults
- Ottawa – Guide to services and programs for older adults
- Ottawa – City of Ottawa Older Adult Plan 2020-2022
- Ottawa – Para Transpo – a public transportation alternative for customers who are unable to take conventional transit (buses and O-Train) some or all of the time due to a disability
- Ottawa – Ottawa Public Library – Blackburn Hamlet
- Ottawa – Ottawa Public Health
- Ontario – Seniors: stay healthy and active
- Ontario – Seniors Active Living Centre Programs
- Ontario – A guide to programs and services for seniors
- Canada – Programs and services for seniors
- Canada – October 1, 2023, National Seniors Day National Seniors Day | Federal Retirees
Safety and Security
- Ottawa Police Service – Scams and Fraud
- Ottawa – Emergency Preparedness Workshops (Are You Ready, Ready Seniors)
- Ontario – Identify a scam or fraud
- Canada – Get Cyber Safe
- Canada Revenue Agency – Scams and fraud
Discounts for Seniors
- Seniors Discounts Canada I 100+ Great Offers for Seniors (canadianfreestuff.com)
- Deals and Discounts for Canadian Seniors | Canadian Seniors Directory
Retirement Living (Blackburn Hamlet)
General Information and Support
- Red Cross Friendly Calls Program
- Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre (eorc-creo.ca)
- Ottawa Newcomers | Ottawa Newcomers (ottawanewcomersclub.ca)
- Good Companions Seniors Centre – Seniors Without Walls
- Blackburn Seniors SurveyBlackburn Seniors – We want to hear from you! The newly created BCA Seniors Action Committee is now planning activities for seniors (aged 55+) and we would like your input. To assist us, please complete this short three-question survey at https://forms.gle/ZKw9Z2LjdcWZgB5K9 If you would prefer to complete the survey on paper, please check out the
- SENIORS HOLIDAY DINNER AND KARAOKEWhen: Wednesday, December 13, 2023, 5:30 PM Where: Olito`s Café, 110 Bearbrook Road Hey Blackburn seniors…Love to sing or to listen to others try? Invite your friends and family and join us for dinner, door prizes and an evening of song! Cost is $25 per person (Includes a choice of chicken platter, Bifana (pork) sandwich
- Blackburn Seniors Breakfast Get-togetherWhen: Wednesday, December 6, 2023, 9:00 AM Where: Broadway Bar & Grill, 1615 Orleans Blvd. Calling all Blackburn Hamlet seniors aged 55+! Please join us for our last breakfast gathering of 2023. Come and share the laughter and play a game or two. Ample parking is available. Please RSVP to Shirley at 613-841-7691 by Friday,
- Discovery Café – Free Lecture: Detecting FraudWhen: Thursday, November 23, 2023, 7:00 to 8:30 PM Where: Blackburn Community Centre, 190 Glen Park Drive Technology is advancing at a staggering pace. Fraudsters view each new advancement as an opportunity to exploit weaknesses in systems and are using increasingly sophisticated approaches to wreak havoc on organizations and individuals. Join Robin Grosset, CTO of
- Discovery Café, Blackburn Hamlet styleBarbara Whittaker, BCA Seniors Director The new Discovery Café lecture series kicked off in September, with Carleton Professor Dr. Bob Burk leading a fascinating session called “Chemistry: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.” We learned about the importance of chemistry in our daily lives and how sometimes a single chemical can be both beneficial
- Blackburn Seniors Breakfast Get-togetherWhen: Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 9:00 AM Where: Broadway Bar & Grill, 1615 Orleans Blvd. Calling all Blackburn Hamlet seniors aged 55+! Please join us for the next seniors breakfast get-together. It is a great chance to meet new people, share stories and hear about events in the community. Guests visiting? Bring them along! Ample