The Rinks portfolio is responsible for ensuring infrastructure is safe and regularly maintained during the winter season at the outdoor rinks located at Bearbrook Park, Norman Johnson Alternative School and Michael Budd Park. The rinks are maintained by a dedicated team of volunteers and supported by students who are engaged as rink monitors during operating hours.
The BCA maintains three outdoor rinks in our neighborhood during the winter months:
- Bearbrook rink by the swimming pool,
- Norman Johnson rink at the corner of Innes and Cleroux
- Michael Budd rink on Orient Park Drive
OUR RINKS ARE VOLUNTEER-POWERED, they are NOT run by the City.
We are looking for committed and reliable volunteers to help maintain the rink with our two rink masters, who will provide training if needed. Even if you can commit to only one night a week, we’ll take it! Duties include:
- Clear snow from the rinks as necessary. This includes what is generated by the skaters. Rinks must be completely cleared of snow to allow flooding.
- Move the hockey nets as necessary.
- Monitor the skate shacks when open.
- Advise supervisors of any issues such as graffiti in shacks, illegal acts etc.
- Communicate with scheduler re availability for shifts and hours worked.
- Take direction from volunteer rink flooders.
Please fill out the form below, and tell us which rink you are interested in, your availability (days of the week, times) and your contact information.
- Call for Outdoor Rink AttendantsThe BCA is looking to hire outdoor rink attendants for the 2023 season for the Bearbrook Park and Norman Johnston School outdoor rinks. Duties include opening and closing of ice huts, clearing the rink and working with rink maintenance volunteers. We operate the rinks 7 days a week, from 4pm to 10pm weekdays and noon
- Another great season for our outdoor rinks thanks to our volunteersBrent Lawrie, VP of the BCA Blackburn Hamlet has three excellent outdoor skating rinks that were opened this year on December 27, one of our earliest openings in recent years. There are three locations — Bearbrook Pool and Norman Johnston School, each of which hosts a large hockey rink and a puddle rink, and a
- Outdoor rinks open!Outdoor skating rinks in Blackburn Hamlet are now open the community! For those of you looking to get outside this holiday season consider checking out our rinks at Norman Johnston School, Bearbrook park or Micohael Budd Park. This year, with the recent spike in COVID case counts due to Omicron, we will again keep our