The Environment Committee champions issues affecting our greenspace and community. It supports the BCA in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities on environmental matters by providing a local perspective and leading initiatives on:
- Health, protection, and a safe enjoyment of the natural environment;
- Beautification of our community;
- Prosperity and proliferation of trees and the tree canopy;
- Management of invasive species;
- Awareness around air quality;
- Local actions that focus on climate change and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions; and
- Promotion of environmental awareness and providing opportunities for community participation in environmentally-related activities.
The Environment Committee leads initiatives related to the beautification of our wonderful community with the goal to enhance the liveability of our neighbourhood. Initiatives include the Community Clean-Up, information sharing on environment-related topics, Garage Sale and Recycling events, and the implementation of volunteer gardens. Two sub-committees work closely with the Environment Committee – the Tree Team and the Climate Change Team.
The BCA Tree Team does important work maintaining and enhancing the tree canopy in Blackburn Hamlet. The Tree Team welcomes everyone and is a place that brings together individuals committed to protecting Blackburn Hamlet’s natural environment, and increasing tree canopy and greenspace. The team is happy to collaborate with the CAFES Neighbourhood Canopy Regeneration Project in conjunction with Ecology Ottawa. Visit our Tree Team Page for more information and if you are interested in volunteering with the Tree Team contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our LDD (Spongy Moth page if you are concerned about infestations in Blackburn Hamlet.
The Climate Change Team’s goal is to information, bring people together, and facilitate community initiatives related to air quality and climate change mitigation and adaptation. Anyone interested in or with ideas about air quality and climate change (for instance, low-carbon resilient buildings) is encouraged to get in touch at email@example.com.
If you are interested in planning an environment related initiative, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and be part of our environment team! We would love to hear your ideas!
- Ticks & Lyme Disease Focus GroupLooking for 10-12 residents of Blackburn Hamlet to participate in a Focus Group with the University of Montreal. What: Blackburn Hamlet has been invited by the University of Montreal to participate in a focus group on Lyme disease. As part of this project, we are recruiting individuals (citizens, scientists, administrators, etc.) who have a role
- Home Energy Efficiency with Blackburn Hamlet Community AssociationThank you to everyone who attended our webinar Upgrade Your Home for Energy Efficiency with Blackburn Hamlet Community Association. If you missed it or just want a recap, you can watch the recording here. You can find out more about incentive programs, rebates, and our programming on our website. Find out more about the Future
- Join us for the 21st Annual Spring Clean-UpWhen: Saturday April 29th at 9:30am Rain date: Sunday April 30th at 9:30am Where: 190 Glen Park Dr. (Blackburn Community Hall) Join the BCA and your neighbors as we clean up the main streets and parks of Blackburn in honour of Earth Day. Meet us at the Community Hall, where we will provide garbage bags
- Upgrade Your Home for Energy EfficiencyKnowledge, tools, rebates and grants to upgrade your home’s energy efficiency – join BCA and EnviroCentre April 19 Are you ready to take the first step towards having a greener home to save you money and contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle? Then mark your calendars for Wednesday, April 19th, from 7:00pm to 8:00pm, and
- Earth day coloring contest 2023Chère Planète Terre, Je voulais te remercier pour les gens dans notre communauté! Félicitations à Audrey Larue-Bruneau qui a gagné la carte cadeau de 50$ de Métro pour sa participation dans le Concour de coloriage pour le Jour de la Terre. Lorsque je lui ai demandé ce qu’elle envisageait acheter avec sa carte cadeau, Audrey
- Neighbourwoods Training Time to Register! Come and spend time outdoors with new friends while learning about trees!Clifton Charie, Blackburn Community Association’s Tree Team – Neighbourwoods Project Lead Date: May 13th and 14th, 2023 Where: 190 Glen Park Drive (Inside and Outside around the Blackburn Community Hall) Free A small team of volunteers launched the tree inventory program called “Neighbourwoods” in Blackburn Hamlet last spring. Unfortunately, our training program with Dr. Andrew Kenney was