The April BANAR is now available! This month’s issue includes a tribute to the founder of the Allotment Gardens, three banner events from the Environment and Transportation Committee, a rebirth of the Cancer Chase in time for an eighth annual race in October, an overview of the upcoming FunFair, and much, much more! As promised, more information about the Rinks Director position follows below.
Have you enjoyed skating on Blackburn’s outdoor rinks? Well, we are in danger of losing those rinks. We are in the process of gathering applications for Rinks Director. If this position remains unfilled, there will be no outdoor rinks in operation next year because there will be nobody to manage them. The position is a co-ordination role and is responsible for the tasks listed further below. We have a dedicated group of guys ready and willing to continue doing the actual physical work but are gathering interest from those willing to manage the rinks. If you enjoy using the rinks, consider stepping up to ensure that you and other residents can continue to enjoy them in the years to come. If you have any questions about the rinks, please send an email to email@example.com.
Annual process to start outdoor rink operations
– BCA Treasurer/Director of Rinks to confirm contract with plow operator for the season.
– Rink operator meeting held to prepare for the season.
– Obtain keys for shacks from the City representative (John Hamilton as of January 2018) and distribute to the lead rink operators for Bearbrook and Norman Johnston.
– Post advertisement on community association’s website and on Facebook seeking rink attendants. Send email to attendants from previous year to alert them to the advertisement and determine interest.
At time of first snowfall and temperature drop:
– Contact plow operator to have rinks packed down.
Once rinks are operational:
– Ensure rinks are maintained at a level that permits usage (weather conditions are taken into account).
– Hose down the rinks.
– Track and monitor rink attendant hours and provide to Treasurer for cheques.
– Trigger plow operator to clear rinks as required.
At the end of the rink season:
– Collect keys from rink operators and return keys to City representative.
– Meeting held for rink operators and Director of Rinks to review the past season and discuss future improvements if required.